Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Submission for rec-music-gaffa

From: becker@jvnca.csc.org (Brendan Becker)
Date: 4 Apr 89 15:21:51 GMT
Subject: Submission for rec-music-gaffa
Responding-System: jvnca.csc.org

From: becker@jvnca.csc.org (Brendan Becker)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Australian `Classics'?
Date: 4 Apr 89 15:21:50 GMT

In article <8904012053.AA18137@mahendo.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: Greg Earle <earle@mahendo.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>
>
>>From: kelley@apollo.COM
>>
>>... For years we've been told that the following bands are Australian
>>Classics:  Angel City, Real Life, Icehouse, Men At Work, INXS, Split Enz,
>>Eurogliders, AC/DC, Crowded House, Severed Heads, The Sports, or EVEN
>>Olivia Newton-John.
>
>I don't know who it is that's been telling you that, but only Severed
>Heads qualify as Australian Classic in my book ... (and Split Enz/Crowded
>House are from New Zealand; I won't even mention Oblivion Neutron-Bomb)

Actually towards the end of Split Enz existence (why, oh why did they
break up?? 8^(), Paul Hester joined (after Tim Finn left).  He, I do
believe, is Australian.  And I'm almost certain that Nick Seymour
(who is Mark Seymour's (of Hunters And Collectors) brother is also
Australian.  This makes the only one Kiwi in Crowded House, Neil Finn.
And as for the comment about people telling us these are Australian
Classics.  I still think the only reason why Split Enz's "True Colours"
went gold in this country is because it had one top-40 hit (their only
one, mind you) and that the promotions folks at A&M made it the first
laser-etched album.  I certainly didn't see anyone tell me that these
guys were cool because they were from "down under".  Besides, the Enz
had already had three LPs out here in the States before TC came out.
(Mental Notes, Second Thoughts, and Dizrythmia)

I will defend this band and all its offshoots that I'm aware of. To
me, Split Enz/Tim Finn/Crowded House/ and yes, even the SWINGERS are
terrific regardless of where they are from.

(I also think that Icehouse has become that well known in this country
because of the "Aussie-ness".)
But that's all in my book.

And let's face it, Australia has certainly come up with their share of
duds.  For example: ONJ as mentioned above, but even worse, Kylie
Minogue and that guy who just had the #1 single in the UK for about
3 weeks. What was his name??? (On second thought, don't bother, I really
don't want to know.)