Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Mailbag

From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 89 11:11 PST
Subject: Mailbag

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick (IED)

     Thanks for the info re Kate Wolf's death and resulting likely
confusion. It explains a lot.

 > To draw a comparison, there's a KaTe bootleg (_Paris,_1979_, I think?)
 > which has an earlier version of _Violin_, with some different lyrics.

     Yes. Something like "Hearing the haunting melody/<Inaudible
line>/Hearing the word in the green valley/Hearing the Banshee riddle/
Hearing the Banshee riddle." A fan once asked Kate for the actual lyrics
in a _Newsletter_, but (no surprise) she was evasive, saying that she
had "forgotten" them, that they had changed several times throughout the
tour, and that they weren't very good.
     Also, check out the early arrangement of _Egypt_ from various
bootlegs. It's quite different from the _Never_For_Ever_ arrangement.
     Both are on _Paris,_1979_, as well as on the Manchester, London
Palladium and Bristol bootlegs.

 >KATE SHEET MUSIC???????  WHO PUBLISHES IT?  Please Please Please tell
 >me, so I can order it (legally) all NOW!  Any other information that
 >might help me get hold of it (like what store, I could call across the
 >country if necessary to mail order it).....

     Oh, no. IED sent out a long posting (no surprise again) with all
the publishers' and distributors' addresses, and it still hasn't shown
up in his copies of the Digest. If it got lost, that's it. He didn't
make a copy and won't rewrite it all.

 >Subject: _Moving_ from Japan
 >  The question I have is why is there a crowd clapping when this was
 >recorded in the studio and played over the radio?  I found it quite
 >out of place.
 >
 >-- Patrick

     What makes you think it was on radio? The back of the cover says
it was on a TV show called _Sound_in_S_. IED assumed that Kate pre-
recorded the Beatles tracks with the Japanese TV-studio ensemble, then
sang the lead-vocal lines to the accompaniment of the backing-tape on
the soundstage in a small TV studio, with canned applause mixed in
from the booth (very unconvincingly).

-- Andrew Marvick