Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Dead or alive?

From: rbt@genrad.com (Robert B. Tufts)
Date: 29 Mar 89 00:17:56 GMT
Subject: Re: Dead or alive?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: genrad!news@seismo.css.gov

In article <5163.8903281027@subnode.lfcs.ed.ac.uk> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: Jamie Andrews <jha%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>

>toward death.  So I would say that she dies at the end of "Jig
>of Life", travels astrally a bit in "Hello Earth", and is reborn
>at the beginning of "The Morning Fog".
>
>     As I say, however, this may be all going on symbolically
>inside her head, whereas in "real life" (whatever that means in
>this context) she does get rescued.  (I don't believe in astral
>travel or reincarnation in real life, and maybe neither does
>Kate.)  Perhaps it's better to just look at it as a
>"transformation".
>
>     All this is just the hermeneutics of my reading, of course!
>I don't know what Kate has said about it, but I note that in
>IED's recent posting he doesn't say that she has specifically
>*denied* that the character dies.  She just says something about
>there being hope at the end -- which doesn't clash with the
>reincarnation interpretation.
>
>--Jamie.
>  jha@lfcs.ed.ac.uk

I gotta say that this sounds like the best explanation yet, if indeed
Kate means to have a real theme here (remember how the Beatles took years
to admit to just having a fun time. Knowing that people read things into their
albums, they were all to accomidating to throw in a few tidbits to stir up
some controversy. Sometimes it was pure jibberish, and they loved what people
got out of it!)

But back to the Ninth Wave ( or is it nine lives ? :-) )

"Hello Earth" definitely could be interpreted as "astral travel".

"The Morning Fog" starts off with "the light" ( we all know what that means!)
:-), and then goes into what I'd consider an "out of body" lookback at friends,
family, etc. Maybe the person didn't appreciate what they had in life, but now
does, and is given a second chance by being reborn through reincarnation.
I guess you could consider that a happy ending.

BTW, nobody seemed to mention the "sonar sounds" are first heard in "Under Ice"
which is definitely alluding to a submarine.

One last comment while on the "Bush podium", I agree with the person who said
that the "Whole Story" video was better in the parts that Kate had a hand in.
I found takes like "WOW" and "Wuthering Heights" were totally incongruous(sp)
and embarrasing (ruined my perception of some good songs), while "Cloubusting"
and "Experiment IV" were very well done in a "story" format. (I only wish the
others were done in a psuedo-concert format).

-Back to listening

-Bob T.