Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KaTe is on Midge Ure's new album

From: suneast!rahthum!ppk@Sun.COM (Pravin Kumar)
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 89 09:50:54 EST
Subject: KaTe is on Midge Ure's new album

>Date: Thu, 12 Jan 89 15:49:34 EST
>From: eliz@bu-it.BU.EDU (Elizabeth A. Lear)
>Subject: KaTe is on Midge Ure's new album
>

>I think I might have seen some reference to this here a while ago, but
>there is an interview with Midge Ure in today's issue of The Boston
>Globe.  It talks about his new single "Dear God", then goes on to
>mention that
>
>	"The hit 'Dear God' comes from an album ironically
>	titles "Answers to Nothing" (due out Jan 19th).
>	There's a high-tech sheen but also a very elemental
>	humanism as Ure sings about spiritual longings and
>	an urge for brotherhood in the haunting 'Sister and
>	Brother', a duet with the mystical Kate Bush.  The
>	song recalls the Bush/Peter Gabriel duet, 'Don't
>	Give Up'."
>

>						...eliz

Midge was interviewed on WFNX in Boston on Wednesday morning.  I
detest the morning disk jockey on 'FNX (actually I detest 'FNX - I
say, move WHFS from DC to Boston, but that's another story), but Midge
was so interesting that I had to listen.  The song "Sister and
Brother" is pretty damn good.  It has Kate Bush, Robin and Ali Campell
from UB40, the bass player from Level 42 (Mark <somebody>) and others.
I think Midge also played live during the interview, but I missed that
part.  I'm definitely looking forward to the album.

Apparently Midge met Kate at a social event and passed on a tape of
the song to her and told her that he'd like her to participate.  She
called him back a couple of days later and said that she was very
moved by the song and that she'd do it, but he had to send her all the
tapes, and that she'd add her vocals herself.  She then called Midge
back a week later and told him that she was finished, and (of course)
Midge was blown away.

By the way, for all those folks with enquiring minds that want to
know, Midge is actually the phonetic spelling of Jim backwards.  His
name is really Jim Ure.  According to Midge, one of the first bands he
played on, already had a Jim, and since his name was also Jim, they
named him Midge.  Ure is a traditional Scottish name.

Also, Midge will be touring in April or May and Boston is definitely
in the cards.

Disclaimer: I was driving around listening to the interview in my car,
and most of the text above is from memory.

pk

Pravin Kumar
Email:	ppk@sun.com or ...!sun!ppk