Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Cover of "The Whole Story"

From: romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us (John Romkey)
Date: 3 Jan 89 11:13:58 PST (Tue)
Subject: Re: Cover of "The Whole Story"
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8901030920.AA06938@hop.toad.com> Love-Hounds@EDDIE.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: tim@toad.com (Tim Maroney)
>... but as TIM has already stated, he finds Ms. Bush's
>expressions so sophomoric that he avoids viewing her videos.

I always wince during much of THE WHOLE STORY video tape. Maybe that's
why I don't watch it much...

>This
>opinion was recently reinforced by a viewing of Peter Gabriel's CV, in
>which Ms. Bush appears in a segment directed by Godley and Creme and
>utterly spoils the segment with her hamming.  The video is so bad that
>another presentation of the song, omitting Ms. Bush, was later shot.

I thought that this video was *so* bad, in concept and execution, that
nothing Kate could have done could have hurt it. The directors and
special effects people caused it to be stillborn.  My initial
impression was that it was an excuse for Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush
to grope on camera.

But wait, Kate Bush DOES appear in the second version, as much as
Peter Gabriel does. Remember, there are little Peter Gabriel heads
that fade in in the upper left hand corner, and little Kate Bush heads
that fade in in the upper right hand corner. Otherwise it seemed like
an 'alright' video. When I saw the heads fade in and out I realized
two things:

1. The producers (or whoever made the decision to put in the heads) of
the video probably decided they could not cope with shooting a video
that prominently feature the artists.

2. The only thing that could have been worse than the heads fading in
and out would have been if a Kate Bush head moved slowly across the
bottom of the screen, enlarged and then faded away.

As I got further through the video, well, a Kate Bush head moved
slowly across the bottom of the screen, enlarged and then faded
away...

Otherwise, I like the second version and despise the first. The first
version is, however, conveniently located at the end of CV, where you
can skip it without having to skip over it.
--
			- john romkey
romkey@asylum.uucp	romkey@xx.lcs.mit.edu	romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us

"Maybe Acid would help."