Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

SugarCubes

From: bradley!bucc2!pwh@uiucdcs.cs.uiuc.edu (Pete Hartman)
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 88 17:15:23 CST
Subject: SugarCubes

I'm surprised I haven't seen more about the beautious Bjork in this
group!  I've heard bits and pieces of the Sugarcubes songs for a
while now, and at first I was put off by the apparent attitude of
the promoters that they would be the "next big thing".  (I generally
hate bands with that kind of attitude).  But I kept hearing that
voice.....very different from the eternal KaTe, but very very spine-tingling
nonetheless.

I finally broke down last night and bought the tape....definately
worth it if you like Bjork's vocal style (which is almost impossible
to describe--she can go from rough throaty notes to sweet airy ones
seamlessly.....).  My personal favorite is _Birthday_ but then again,
that's the one I've heard most....

so hey!  Rush out and buy it!  God knows we need *something* to tide
us over until KaTe deigns to release her latest work......

(ps.  why is so much time being spent on Radio stations that only
a small percentage of the country knows about, much less cares?
Just curious.)

"I can't write songs about girls anymore.  I have to write songs
about women.  No more 'boy meets girl, boy loses girl', more like
'man tries to figure out what the hell went wrong'!"
		-_I'm an adult now_  --The Pursuit of Happiness