Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Storytelling

From: John M. Relph <relph@presto.ig.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 1988 11:54:35 PST
Subject: Storytelling

Jonathan Segel, _Storytelling_ (CD):

No, that's not a bird, it's the fiddle and mandolin player from Camper
Van Beethoven doing a solo album.  And a very interesting album this
is.  A concept album from the word "I", _Storytelling_ covers a lot of
ground.  From acoustic instrumentals to straight-ahead rock, one can
hear similarities to Pink Floyd, Genesis, Jethro Tull, and King
Crimson.  So you wavo and prog-rock haters, stay away.

Personally, I find this a very psychadelic and listenable album.

One interesting (and disturbing note): the compact disc of
_Storytelling_ does not contain two songs from the LP version, "Song
Goes", and "Still Wishing to Course", a song that appears on Camper
Van Beethoven's third album.  There may be one song on the CD that is
not on the album version, however, a harpsichord piece entitled
"Rondeau Aloe" (though I could be wrong).

	-- John