Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Review of Billy Currie (with guest Steve Howe)

From: Gary L Dare <gld@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 88 13:06:46 EST
Subject: Re: Review of Billy Currie (with guest Steve Howe)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <193*haug@si.uninett> Kari Haug wrote:

>I would like to quote a little story from the "Ultravox in their own words"
>booklet. In it, Billy Currie tells us something that happened when he went
>to Huddersfield School of Music. He once played a self-composed melody on
>the piano, in front of the class, and his teacher said sarcastically:
>"What makes you think you're so special"?

Cheers, Kari!  Good to hear from you again.

This sounds like a fascinating album, but probably won't get any
airplay in the US except on public radio.  I'm writing a postcard to
Brent Bambury at CBC's "Brave New Waves" to play it in the first week
of 1989 'cos I'll be home for the holidays; Billy has some amazing
credentials when you consider how many people he's played with outside
of Ultravox.

Actually, there's a similiar story for Steve Winwood.  He was
suspended from school because the headmaster didn't like his music, so
he went off and played with Spencer Davis; Stevie didn't go back,
obviously!  While his current commercial stuff can be offputting, I
did hear some work he did with a group called GO (Stomu Yamashta,
Klaus Schulze, Michael Schrieve, Al diMeola, Pat Thrall) on a radio
concert this past weekend.  I'm now hunting around for the CD...

gld
--
 Gary L. Dare                           > gld@eevlsi.ee.columbia.EDU
 "Free Canada, Trade Mulroney!"         > gld@cunixc.BITNET