Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: WDRE/WLIR

From: Gary L Dare <gld@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 88 12:55:25 EST
Subject: Re: WDRE/WLIR
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8812150501.AA19253@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> Michael Fischer wrote:
>I say sort of because they used to be WLIR (from '72 to '87) but they
>were attacked in a lawsuit and were taken over by a different company
>and are now WDRE. Exactly the same station and D.J.'s but a different
>name. WLIR was the first station in America to play U2 by the way. Even
>though I say it's exactly the same station, I can feel a difference.

Well, one difference is that the stupid commercials aren't quite SO
stupid anymore.  But there's still too many of them.  Another thing
that bugs me is that all the music on WDRE/LIR seems to have a minimum
tempo and preset dynamic range!  I mean, this sounds like the
beats/minute measures that disco DJs use(d) to tune their evening's
selections by.  After a half-hour, I have to turn to WNEW for a
screaming guitar solo by Eric Clapton or Jimmy Page just to confirm
that sounds > 12 Khz still exist.  But for variety and novel acts,
this station and a couple of "college" ones are what I'm stuck with
'til I get back to Canada.

cheers,

gld

PS: By the way, this is the only station in the US where I've heard
Danielle Dax or China Crisis or The Cure.  As for Kate Bush, she
doesn't pop up on the New York airwaves at all! )-;

--
 Gary L. Dare                           > gld@eevlsi.ee.columbia.EDU
 "Free Canada, Trade Mulroney!"         > gld@cunixc.BITNET