Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Dax

From: steve@raspail.cdc.com (Steve Schonberger)
Date: 29 Nov 88 22:16:10 GMT
Subject: Dax
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Date: Tue, 22 Nov 88 11:21:24 CDT

I picked up a couple of things at the CD shops lately.  One was _Rank_, by
the Smiths.  It was ok, but all recycled material.  I figure it was ok for
ten bucks (used, already), but I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it.

The goody I got was _Dark Adapted Eye_ by Danielle Dax.  Thanks to nm-list
and rec.music.gaffa for turning me on to her.  I picked up a used LP of
_Inky Bloaters_ a while back, and thought it was so wonderful that I had
to have it on CD.  I hunted all over town for it, but most of the shops
that sell imports didn't know who she was, and every time I made it to
Northern Lights (the one in Midway -- the other two are yuppie joints),
they were sold out.  I was all set to pay 20 or 25 bucks for it.

Imagine my delight when _Dark Adapted Eye_ turned up there, on a 13 dollar
domestic release, with almost all of _Inky Bloaters_, and loads of other
great stuff.  Seventy minutes of wonderful, weird, and pleasing to the ears
music for half the price of the import with half the music.

For those not familiar with the wonderful Danielle Dax, she reminds me (on
_Dark Adapted Eye_ and _Inky Bloaters_ at least, which are all I own of her
material) of what the Residents might have sounded like if they had done a
Creedence Clearwater Revival set on _Diskomo_ with high soprano vocals.  I
know I'm going to get flamed for that comparison, but I feel fireproof right
now anyway.

	Steve