Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Laibach

From: Justin Bur <justin@iro.umontreal.ca>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 88 11:22:55 EST
Subject: Laibach

I saw a German film, _Die Jungfraumaschine_ (The Virgin Machine),
in which a song I liked quite a lot was sung in German and English;
trying to match song titles in the credits to songs heard in the
film, I concluded that the song I liked was by Laibach.

On Brave New Waves (CBC Stereo (FM radio across Canada), one night
rather late) I heard a haunting version of The Beatles' _Across the
Universe_.  Brent Bambury (the host of the program) said it was by
Laibach, a group from Yugoslavia.

In a CD shop in Montreal, I found a disc of Beatles covers by Laibach,
and also another disc (on Wax Trax records (USA), licensed from Mute)
called _Opus Dei_.  It contains two versions of Opus's _Live is Life_
(!), one in German, one in English, as well as a Queen song, and some
original Laibach material which is rather hard to appreciate and will
have to be listened to several more times.

Does anyone know anything about this group, or their other recordings?