Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: ADD (SPARS) code

From: John M. Relph <relph@presto.ig.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 1988 13:31:31 PST
Subject: Re: ADD (SPARS) code

John Drukman sez:
>An album doesn't actually have to be digitally mixed to get an ADD
>designation.  I'm almost positive that "Black Sea" by XTC was NOT
>digitally mixed, yet it says ADD on the disc.  Ditto for my Frank
>Zappa "Peache en Regalia" mini-CD.  I have a feeling that any sound
>cleanup they do before going onto the digital tape may count as
>"digital mixing" - for these particular discs have absolutely great
>sound quality.

According to the the definition of SPARS code, "ADD" really must mean
that the album was digitally mixed (i.e., mixed onto a digital tape).
The Zappa was indeed mixed digitally, as he went back to the original
multi-track master tapes, transferred them to digital and re-mixed it.
It is possible but highly improbable that _Black Sea_ was indeed mixed
digtally, so it's probably a mistake in the labelling.

	-- John