Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

HoL SPARS Code

From: Lazlo Nibble <cs2532bj@ARIEL.UNM.EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 88 02:05:07 MDT
Subject: HoL SPARS Code
Posted-Date: Wed, 12 Oct 88 02:05:07 MDT

> keving@GAFFA.SGI.COM (Kevin Gurney) writes:

> I finally got HoL on CD (I had it on tape before). So tell me, why
> doesn't KaTe reKord and/or masTer her stuff digitally? Was 'ADD'
> really that expensive/experimental/unreliable back when HoL was
> released?

My copy of HoL has "ADD" on the back cover and on the disc itself.  I
assume it's an import because it doesn't mention Capitol or
EMI-America anywhere on it . . . just EMI Records Ltd in the UK.

KaTe does all her first-stage recording in her own studio.  Back in
83/84 when she was building the place, digital hardware probably *was*
a little too expensive for her, especially after THE DREAMING's
relative lack of success.  By now, who knows?  HoL sounds absolutely
marvelous, so I doubt the expense of upgrading the studio would really
make much of a difference.  As you may have discovered on some discs,
DDD doesn't necessarily mean the thing sounds great and AAD doesn't
necessarily mean it sounds bad.  There's a lot more to good production
than just the hardware you use.

--
Lazlo Nibble (cs2532bj@ariel.unm.edu)