Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

This'n'that

From: Detlef Richter <uph002%ddohrz11.bitnet@GAFFA.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 88 14:35:20 MET
Subject: This'n'that
Posted-Date: Thu, 06 Oct 88 14:35:20 MET

Hello, Love-Hounds,

To begin with: Thank You, Doug, for adding me to the most important
mailing-list and for sending me Your Interview with
              K A T E .

Due to the fact that I'm new to the list I have some of those boring
questions concerning lists and all this stuff.  Has anyone of You had
the time to make up complete lists of material concerning our beloved
K A T E , including a bibliography, videography, and a discography,
especially a CDiscography that comprises more than the five LPs on CD,
the sampler including 'Experiment IV' and the picture interview CD? I
have heard of a CD-single with 'E IV', but I couldn't obtain one!!!
(SAD, isn't it!!)

>  From: blblbl!henrik@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (Larry DeLuca)

>  In the case of _Hello,  Earth_:
>      "Deeper, deeper, somewhere in the depths, there is a light."
>                      larry...

A really interesting and thorough interpretation of K A T E 's work.
But I will need a little time... One question: the words quoted above,
are they really english in Your version of the song? My german CD has
german words! If 'depth' is the translation of 'Tiefe', then You're
right to say that it can possibly mean the deep sea or the the depth
of (un-)consciousness, or even something that lies deep down, perhaps
concealed in some way.

I would like to add something to the GAFFA-files. 'Gaffen' as a german
word means 'watching, looking', but in a dumb, inactive and non-under-
standing way, so 'Suspended in Gaffa' could possibly mean 'being in a
state of inactivity where you can see, but not act'. Someone who is
'gaff'-ing is a 'Gaffer' (in german), and the german ending '-er' is
usually pronounced in the same way as '-ea' or '-a', so that 'Gaffer'
becomes 'Gaffa'. The capital letter is the german way of indicating a
noun.

I hope You don't think I'm chauvinistic by introducing that many
german aspects into this letter.

>  From: elliott@UNRVAX.UNR.EDU (Andrew Elliott)
>  Subject:   Efra Haza
>  SO...now has anyone heard of Efra Haza ?

She has recently been in Germany in several TV-Shows!GREAT!  But to
the best of my knowledge her name is Ofra Haza, perhaps there are
difficulties in transcribing the name form hebrew? I've seen a CD with
her songs, but the interview CD with Kate was more important to me.
Could I help You in sending You the 'number on the record'?

Does anyone of You like Clannad, Ireland and irish mythology?  I would
like to know about books on gaelic, celtic, and gothic times,
Cuchulainn, erse usquebaugh (!?!?) and so on.(And K A T E 's
connection to myth.)

                               detlef