Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

...and dream of Kate

From: jsd%UMASS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (Jonathan S. Drukman)
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 88 09:48:47 EDT
Subject: ...and dream of Kate
Posted-Date: Mon, 19 Sep 88 09:48:47 EDT

[ For inclusion in future WSI Press publications ]

Despite listening to Kate for quite some time now and despite having
made lots of interesting new friends through meeting her fans, I have
never had a dream of the Great Witch Goddess herself, until
recently...

Imagine a really big club, like The Ritz in New York, only with lots
of purple streamers.  The interminable hours of waiting have passed
and, can it really be?  Yes!  Kate Bush herself is on stage!  She has
abandoned her silly stage antics of the past for a more calm, polished
presentation.  Giant video screens, and the like.  Suddenly, all is
not well!  Getting a bit over-enthused she beats the hell out of her
Fairlight in a particularly dramatic passage and sprains her wrist!
Tragedy!!

CUT TO: A street straight out of "Blade Runner", or "The Max Headroom
Show", or any other self-respecting Cyberpunk landscape.  You know the
type: fog, wet, funky lighting, and throw in a venetian blind or two.
A queue of epic proportions runs from the entrance of a large,
institutional building down the steps, out into the street, and around
the corner.  While wandering around the line, I run into a friend of
mine.  I am surprised to see him here since he is one of the most
rabid anti-Kate persons I know.  It was he who threatened to destroy
my Kate video tape after hearing a mere three seconds of "Wuthering
Heights"!  I never do find out what he's doing in that line though,
because like all good dreams, the perspective keeps switching.  The
next thing I know I am in a room of surprising antiquity, sitting on a
cassock and playing hearts with Kate.  I bid diamonds, hoping to clear
the suit, and wind up taking the Queen of Spades.  Kate doesn't say
anything.

Jon Drukman                      University of Massachusetts
BITNET: jsd@umass                ARPANET: jsd%umass.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
"By the half light of burning republics, Joe Stalin looks just like
 Uncle Sam"      -- XTC