Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Another attack on artist's rights

From: FULIGIN%UMASS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (Peter E. Lee)
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 88 11:44:42 EDT
Subject: Another attack on artist's rights

  <The following letter was recently sent to the radio station I work
at (WMUA Amherst) by a group in New York called "Music In Action." I
think it will be of interest to many people on the network.>

Dear Music Lover,

In the last few weeks, the freedom of contemporary music has come
under new and alarming attack.  Lurking in the halls of Congress is
bill S.2033, the deceptively named "Child Protection and Obscenity
Enforcement Act of 1988," which would allow federal authorities to
confiscate the business and personal property of virtually every one
of us.  This bill would enable federal authorities to obtain obscenity
convictions against records (this bill has the same far-reaching
implications for all the other arts - films, books, magazines, etc.),
then to expropriate the goods, bank accounts, homes, automobiles, and
pressing plants of everyone associated with these disks' sales.
Artists targeted incidentally include Prince, Madonna, Debby Boone and
Bruce Springsteen.

Here's how it's being done.  Title I provisions of the bill legislate
child protection measures against child pornography, while *Title II
provisions make obscenity a federal crime via the power of Congress to
regulate interstate commerce.* Since the Supreme Court has ruled that
there is no federal standard for obscenity...this bill, if enacted,
would *empower any local extremist group to sue in federal court* the
publisher, manufacturer, or retailer of any material it deemed obscene
*according to it's own local standards.* In addition to the provisions
mandating seizure and forfeiture of property, Title II provides for
*IMPRISONMENT FOR UP TO FIVE YEARS.* This new legislation is the
crowning achievement of the ignominious career of former Attorney
General Edwin Meese who was forced to resign under fire.

As of early July, the RIAA's legislative representatives thought the
law had a very low chance of passage.  Belatedly, the RIAA has
dramatically altered it's opinion.

Now it appears that the *Child Protection and Obscenity Enforcement
Act* will be attached to a package of 'anti-crime' legislation and
rammed through as part of a Fall 1988 election-year ploy.  Senators
and Congressmen will virtually be forced to vote yes for the bill if
they want to demonstrate that they care about crime and the protection
of children.  This bill has already garnered 237 Congressional
co-sponsors, and is drawing an overwhelming volume of mail - all of it
supporting the bill.

Music In Action fully supports the Title I provisions of the bill.  We
are strongly opposed to the Title II provisions aimed at denying
adults their constitutionally guaranteed First Amendment rights.

Our opponents are well organized.  So must we be.  Our future depends
on it.  Join us in the fight to preserve our right to creative and
artistic expression.  Form a chapter of Music In Action on your campus
immediately and organize a *Music In Action Is Freedom In Action*
campaign.

Thanks,

Howard Bloom    Bob Guccione, Jr.    David Krebs

Founding members of Music In Action

For more information call : Laura Gordon 212/644-8900

<Above is the un-edited content of the letter (asterisks were added in
place of underlined phrases in the original).  This legislation has
the potential to affect anyone who creates or enjoys any of the arts.
Please re-post wherever you think it will reach interested people.

                                                      -Peter E. Lee
Internet : Fuligin%UMass.bitnet@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>