Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"Tenner" trouble

From: "Liz Owens, Microcomputer Product Center, 491-3889"<BABOOSHKA@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 88 11:45 CDT
Subject: "Tenner" trouble
Posted-Date: Tue, 13 Sep 88 11:45 CDT

Uh oh, here we go again.  Well, I see that you folks here are like the
professor I once had who gave me a C- on a paper because I dared to
find a symbolism in a play that he didn't agree with.  After all, we
all know that there is only one way to interpret anything, right?
Goodness knows *all* Judeo-Christians are Bible fundamentalists,
right?

Ahem.  Now that my bitterness has ebbed, I have to admit I'm as sick
of this damn Gaffa thing as anyone. So I'll fuel the fire under "There
Goes a Tenner."  I think this whole present/past thing is really kind
of weird and complicated, so I'll just ignore it.  The line I am
questioning is "Pockets floating in the breeze."

Ok, let's just think about that for a moment.  Anybody here ever watch
cartoons or old comedies? I didn't think so.  Anyway, a person who is
trying to show he has no cash does what? He *turns out his pockets*.
I have always taken that line to mean that she was reflecting on a
time when she was poor, when things were simpler, when there was the
time to enjoy each other and the outdoors.

Oh, well.  I'm sure to be crucified, or, worse, not posted, but I
don't care.  I'm really tired of everyone refusing to listen to other
points of view.  Some of you probably kick babies, too.

Lizooshka