Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Jig of Life

From: sarah@LYRE.CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (Sarah Tomich)
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 88 13:59:52 EDT
Subject: Re: Jig of Life
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I never seen Jig of Life brought up before.  I'd be interested in
hearing what all the Kate-junkies have to say about the interpretation
of this song.  I have my thughts, but seeing that I don't have the
lyrics in front of me, I'd rather hear from someone who at the moment
might.

I must say that hearing about ANY another song besides "Suspended in
Gaffa" might be a nice change.

I thank |>oug for the words to "The Handsome Sailor Boy".  I too, like
marK, was a little confused as to what Kate was saying in the last
line.  Where did this song come from, and where did Kate come upon it
anyways?

-Sarah

"Go right to the white rose...."

      [ "The Ninth Wave", as you probably know, is the story of a
	ship-wrecked woman who is floating in the ocean.  Most of the
	songs are dreams she has while floating in the water as she
	struggles to stay awake and keep her head above water.  In
	"Jig of Life", the woman has a vision of her future self, who
	comes to tell her that not only her own life depends on her
	staying alive, but also the life of the old woman she sees in
	front of her (her future self) and the lives of her future
	children.

	Where did "The Handsome Cabin Boy" come from?  It's a
	traditional sea chantey.  I don't know where Kate first came
	upon it, but a long time ago (way before *Hounds of Love*), I
	heard a radio show where Kate was the guest DJ, sort of.  On
	it she played "The Handsome Cabin Boy" as performed, I think,
	by Euin McCall (spelling?) and someone else whose name I can't
	remember at the moment.  -- |>oug ]