Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "There Goes A Tenner" revisited

From: ranjit@ENIAC.SEAS.UPENN.EDU (Ranjit Bhatnagar)
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 88 02:11:50 edt
Subject: Re: "There Goes A Tenner" revisited
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Posted-Date: Tue, 13 Sep 88 02:11:50 edt

OK, there's another possible interpretation, which mostly
agrees with Doug's:

>	I've been here all day		<- present: being arrested
>	A star in strange ways
>	Apart from a photograph
>	They'll get nothing from me
>	Not until they let me see
>	My solicitor
>	Ooh I remember			<- reveries
>	That rich windy weather
>	When you would carry me
>	Pockets floating in the breeze
>	There goes a tenner		<- PRESENT again!  See below.
>	Hey look! there's a fiver
>	There's a ten shilling note
>	Remember them?
>	That's when we used to vote for him.

Starting with "There goes a tenner" - it's obviously back to the
present, since it is recited in the present tense (hey!) - and refers
to the destruction of the safe which led to the current arrest.

Doug maintains that the last 5 lines are still part of the memories of
a past burglary.  But, since they are in the present tense and mention
the money which has JUST NOW been blown up, they're more likely to
refer to the present.

And the last 3 lines are nostalgia inspired by seeing some obsolete
bills floating around.

Also, "Gaffa" means "any of several groups of viruses which are
transmitted by arthropods, some of which cause encephalitis, yellow
fever, and dengue fever."  You can look it up!

	- Ranjit

--
      Just Add Water * They Come To Life * Absolutely Guaranteed to Grow
"Trespassers w"   ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu	ucbvax!rutgers!super!eniac!...