Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

She is magickal, isn't she?

From: voodoo jazz acid noise hippy <ZAPHOD@WWU.EDU>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 88 00:06 PST
Subject: She is magickal, isn't she?
Posted-Date: Fri, 2 Sep 88 00:06 PST

More Kate conjectures to quibble about:

Around the turn of the century (beginning almost exactly 100 years ago
in 1887) there was an organization known as the Hermetic Order of the
Golden Dawn.  The Golden Dawn was a group of ceremonial magicians.
What does this have to do with Kate?  Well, when I first read the
lyrics to "The Dreaming," I had a passing thought that the line
"coming in with the golden light of the morning" was a reference to
the Golden Dawn.  I thought I was jumping to conclusions.  Then I saw
the KT symbol that Kate uses, and found that it was also used as the
symbol for the Knights Templars, of which the Freemasons and the
O.T.O. are the remnants.

In "Waking The Witch," I thought (think?) I heard (hear?) the phrase
"Summum Bonum" during the latin chanting (incidently, does anybody
have a transcript of what is being said there, possibly along with a
translation?), and have heard THAT phrase in the context of referring
to the Philosopher's Stone.

Add to all this the fact that the video to "The Dreaming" is creditted
to "Golden Dawn Productions" (or something like that), and I start to
wonder if my first conclusion about the "golden light" line was
unfounded.

And of course, I have always felt that our beloved Kate's music was
quite magickal.

Well?  What do you think?  Will IED or |>oug respond with further
conjectures?  Or maybe both?  Will Love-Hounds (or rec.music.gaffa)
become another hotbed of discussion?

      [	Well, it has always appeared to your humble pseudo-moderator
	that Kate has a fancy for the magickal and mysterious.
	Whether or not she is alluding to the Hermetic Order of the
	Golden Dawn, I cannot say.  It is known, however, that Kate
	did get her KT logo from old churches, where the Knights
	Templar had left their mark, so you may just be right....
	-- |>oug ]

Zaphod
Dave Brown, 1124 High St. #4, Bellingham, Wa. 98225
(206)671-9736 home (206)671-0417 work
zaphod@wwu.edu

The Dreaming is the only album that exists.

      [	Yes, indeed it is.  -- |>oug ]