Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The final word on Gaffa

From: Douglas Weiman <WEIMAN@SRI-NIC.ARPA>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 88 19:07:17 PDT
Subject: The final word on Gaffa
Posted-Date: Fri, 2 Sep 88 19:07:17 PDT

Okay, here we go.

In the official magazine of The Kate Bush Club in 1984 (they don't
have issue numbers), Kate, herself, described "gaffa."

The issue is from 1984, and there's a picture of Kate on the cover in
a grey turtle-neck sweater, and on the back she's in a suit (Annie
Hall style).

Anyway, on page 12 of this issue, in the Kate Interview section, is as
follows:

	WHAT IS GAFFA?  WHAT DOES "SUSPENDED IN GAFFA" MEAN?

	"Gaffa" is Gaffa Tape.  It is thick industrial tape mainly
	used for taping down and tidying up the millions of leads and
	particularly useful in concert situations.  "Suspended In
	Gaffa" is trying to simulate being trapped in a kind of web,
	everything is in slow-motion and the person feels like they're
	tied up, they can't move.

Okay?  Right from Kate's very own mouth.  Enough said.

	[ Independently, I recently found this quote too.  I found it
	  a bit more indirectly, however.  In issue four of
	  *Break-Through* I found a photograph of a Kate Bush fan who
	  had suspended herself in duct tape to illustrate the song.
	  Next to the picture was a pointer to the
	  Kate-interviews-herself section in the KBC newletter.  --
	  |>oug ]

I am not bringing this forth to take any sides in this debate, but I
hope we can now talk about something else.  I mean, the woman's put
out six albums and many B-sides, and Love-Hounds is discussing a
friggin' single word.  I can't wait until we discuss the meaning
behind the word "the" in the title of Man with the Child...

But seriously, I generally agree with IED's opinion's over |>oug's,
but the facts are there in black and white.  Sorry, IED about *this*
one, but you are absolutely correct about the last verse of There Goes
A Tenner.  So sleep well.

I hope to see something else discussed now, like the images of "Sat In
Your Lap", the point of view of "Symphony in Blue", or a comparison
between Joyce's "The Dead", and "My Lagan Love".

I'd also like to see Ne T'en Fuis Pas get credit as the best thing
that Kate (or anybody else, for that matter) has ever put on vinyl.

Let's get on with it!

Douglas Weiman
WEIMAN@SRI-NIC.ARPA