Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: More on Gaffa and the like....

From: Doug Alan <nessus@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 88 00:03:13 EDT
Subject: Re: More on Gaffa and the like....
Sender: nessus@WONKO.MIT.EDU

> [Liz Owens:] OK? So maybe Gaffa means gaffer's tape. Kate said so,
> right? Well, according to a friend of mine whose knowledge of Auntie
> Kate would put most of you to shame, she *also* said that it meant
> "an error in discression," which is a meaning she got from the OED.
> (He says she discusses this on a picture disk which has her in a red
> dress with a bass.)

Well, Lizooshka, it's not like I don't trust your friend or anything,
but over the years I have heard many statements about Kate Bush from
many people who claim to know enough about Kate Bush to put everyone
else to shame.  Let's see if I can remember a few....  One was that
Clare Tory (the female singer who sings "Great Gig in the Sky" on
*Dark Side of the Moon*) is really Kate Bush.  Now, when *Dark Side of
the Moon* was recorded, Kate Bush was all of fourteen, and her voice
certainly didn't sound anything like that of Clare Tory.  Another one
was that Kate Bush died in a car accident while delivering her
finished tapes for her new album to the record company.  This one I
heard before *Hounds of Love* came out.  Can you find all the secret
messages that prove that Kate is dead on *Hounds of Love*?  It's clear
she's been replaced by an imposter.  Another good one I heard was that
the reason Kate's albums take so long, and the reason she blimps-out
between albums is because she gets pregnant and has a child inbetween
each album.

Now, Lizooshka, I own and have listened to the picture disk, which has
a picture on it from one of Kate's TV performances of "Babooshka" (in
the red dress, with a bass), and I can assure you that nowhere on it
does she mention "Gaffa", "gaffe", or anything of the sort.  Perhaps
she does on a picture disk that I don't have, but I tend to doubt it.
Why in the world would Kate mention the OED at all?  It's not like
"gaffe" is an unusual or exotic word.  If she had meant "gaffa" to
mean the usual definition of "gaffe", she would have just said that.
There'd be no reason to mention the OED at all....

	Q: So, Kate, what's this "Gaffa" stuff?

	KATE: Well, I was browsing through the OED one day, and I
	 stumbled across this neato word, "gaffe".  I bet you've never
	 heard of it, have you?  It means "an error in discretion",
	 and I thought that it was such a neat and exotic sounding
	 word that I just had to use it one of my songs.  I changed
	 the "e" to an "a" just to confuse people.  That was clever of
	 me, don't you think?

This just doesn't make mush sense, now does it?

If your friend can find me a picture disk that *really* does have
something about "gaffe" on it, I would be more than willing to
believe.

"But they've told us
 Unless we can prove that we're doing it
 We can't have it all