Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

High Hopes

From: Cecilia Tan <ST902235%BROWNVM.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 88 16:15:59 EDT
Subject: High Hopes
Posted-Date: Wed, 31 Aug 88 16:15:59 EDT

As a great believer in synchronicity and history repeating itself, I
was excited to hear recently of an up and coming female vocalist from
the UK who had none other as her mentor than David Gilmour, whose
relation to this topic I'm sure I don't have to explain to you rabid
Love Hounds.  (god, was that all one sente nce?)  Anyway, her name is
Sam Brown, and I was hoping she's at least be as interesting as
S(k)in(h)ead, but, from the one single I heard, she's just not
anything special.  Her voice and style are nothing that interesting,
and while I thought the beginning of the song ("This Feeling") was
OK, it degenerated in the middle into some kind of *big-sounding*
schlock.  Perhaps this is too harsh a judgement for one hearing of one
single (especially since the first single can b e notoriously bad when
compared with albums) but, I just thought I'd warn you i n advance.
Sam is no KT, not by a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG shot.  -CT

' Cecilia Tan         Doug/Love Hounds     8/30/88 High Hopes