Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

early vs. recent kate

From: berns%lti.UUCP@BU-IT.BU.EDU (Brian Berns x26)
Date: Tue, 24 May 88 12:37:22 EDT
Subject: early vs. recent kate

Am I the only one who prefers _The Kick Inside_ to _HoL_ and even _The
Dreaming_?  I had been listening to (and loving) _HoL_ and _TD_ for
about a year before I even heard anything (beside "The Man with The
Child in His Eyes") off of _TKI_, and only purchased it as a start
toward completing my Kate collection.  *However*, when I began to give
it a serious listen, I was completely blown away by the warmth and
feeling of some of the songs.  Now ...

   "Moving",
   "The Saxophone Song",
   "Feel It", and
   "Oh To Be In Love"

are all among my top ten Kate songs.  And, except for the missing wail
at the end, I prefer the older version of "Wuthering Heights".  It may
lack the polish of the newer, but it seems that much more heartfelt.

Now, when I listen to recent Kate, it seems so intentional and
limited, if massively effective.  I get the feeling that she is trying
to frighten her audience instead of share something.  So, "Sat in Your
Lap" may keep me up nights, but it is not as great a *song* as "Oh To
Be In Love".

I could go on and on about the changes I hear in Kate's music over
time, but I will leave it at that.  And while I certainly do not mean
to imply that she has "sold out" (quite the opposite, in fact), it
does seem a shame at times.  After all, impressive as _HoL_ sounds,
what is "The Ninth Wave" but 10 minutes of music and 10 minutes of
sound effects?

Anyone else agree?

      [	Well, I'm sure that there are those who will agree with you,
        but you are doomed to spend three eons in the MOR purgatory
    	unless you repent, ye sinners.  So I, Pope of the First Church
        of Kate, do decree. -- |>oug ]

-- brian

P.S.  Do we think that Kate's b-sides and soundtrack work will ever
      (i.e. soon) appear together on CD?  Wouldn't they be nice there
      at the end of her next album?  Please, please, please...