Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Gigs and videos

From: mcvax!inf.rl.ac.uk!nbc@UUNET.UU.NET
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 88 17:56:41 bst
Subject: Gigs and videos
Posted-Date: Mon, 8 Aug 88 17:56:41 bst

> From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU

>     Otherwise, wait patiently: IED predicts that a CD of Kate's
> non-LP tracks -- maybe a double-CD -- will eventually be released,
> EMI will doubtless see the logic in a b-sides collection around
> 1992-93, maybe a lot sooner...

When did a record company - least of all EMI - ever display anything
remotely resembling logical behaviour?

> From: Jamie Andrews <jha%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSS.CS.UCL.AC.UK>

>     Of the post-video boom videos, I think "Cloudbusting" is vaguely
> farcical (unfortunately, because it's my favourite Kate song).

It is also one of my favourite songs (by anyone) and I also thought
the video was great. It came over incredibly strong in the cinema
(showing with Gremlins or Back to the Future) where the power of the
song and the images realy jerked at my emotions. Almost a hint of a
tear in the eyes even. Just goes to show, you pays your money and
takes your choice.

> From: mcvax!tcom.stc.co.uk!lkt@UUNET.UU.NET

> Kate Bush made an appearance in London this weekend (30/7/88) in
> support of an event called "Shop Assistance", in which celebrities
> became shop assistants, waitresses and barmen for the day.

I wish the organisers of such events would publicise more widely
outside of London. The only pre-event publicity I saw just mentioned
bozos like Rick Astley, Boy George, Johnothan Ross and various members
of the cast of East Enders. No mention of the fact that the greatest
living female was going to be present. It's a cruel world!

> From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
> Subject: Kate-echism XV.viii.2: mailbag; and "Talk about stubborn!"

>> Kate will do less than 5 venues in GB, and most likely no US dates
>> during 1989.
>> -- Neil Calton

>     You're on, Neil. Shall we say if IED wins you'll defray the cost
> of the group charter air travel for the North American fans (New
> York/London round trip) for the concerts, and if you win IED will
> send you a
> _personally_signed_photograph_of_George_Takei_of_Star_Trek_
> (pock-marks and all)? Howzat sound?

Sounds like an offer I can refuse. However, should I win the football
pools I might reconsider. Or, if you were to stake your entire Kate
collection ..  Anyway, I will send you a copy of the concert program
from Wembley as a consolation for Kate not visiting the US in 89.

> Actually, there are three video performances of
> Running_Up_That_Hill_: the official video, the "Wogan Show" (podium)
> lip-synch, and another lip-synch from "Top of the Pops" (quite
> similar to the "Wogan" version).  In addition, there may by now be a
> video of the Amnesty concerts on sale in the UK, which would
> probably feature the live version of _Running_Up_That_Hill_ with
> Dave Gilmour on guitar.
>     Perhaps Neil Calton could find out?

IED, if you mean the Secet Policeman's 3rd Ball video - I posted an
article back in January saying that the video was available in VHS
in the shops in GB and it featured _Running_Up_That_Hill_. I did not see a
Beta version but it may also be available.

Be seeing you (at the UK gigs '89!)