Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Interpretations of "Gaffa"

From: Doug Alan <nessus@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 88 12:40:16 EDT
Subject: Re: Interpretations of "Gaffa"
Sender: nessus@WONKO.MIT.EDU

> From: greg@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Greg O'Rear)

> I have read the furious battles over various interpretations of
> "Suspended In Gaffa", from Kate lamenting that she can't be as good as
> Pink Floyd, and her record company not appreciating her lack of
> big-time commercial success, to discussions of whether or not Kate is
> talking about recording studios and old pump-organs.
>
> Personally, I believe the song is about her own personal spiritual
> development.  Someone pointed out that "SIG" talks about the same
> things as does "Sat In Your Lap", and I agree.  What follows is my
> interpretation, with my comments enclosed in square brackets [].

I don't think that anyone disagrees with you.  The song is clearly
about spiritual development and the problems and pain of trying to
achieve perfection.  What is of debate is what more specific allusions
that the lyrics may or may not have.  I maintain that there are
allusions to one of Kate's main paths to spiritual development: making
music.  Some people disagree and say there are no allusions to making
music in the song -- that to even hint that Kate would make an
semi-autobiographical allusion is to taint, sully, and limit the much
greater, more general theme of song.

These people are, of course, wrong.