Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: on the multitude of Her talents

From: nate@MIPOS3.INTEL.COM
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 88 07:54:14 pdt
Subject: Re: on the multitude of Her talents
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Posted-Date: Fri, 5 Aug 88 07:54:14 pdt

In article <8808020239.AA06708@WONKO.MIT.EDU> Jamie Andrews
<jha%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSS.CS.UCL.AC.UK> writes:

> on Her voice:

>     I think the great thing about Kate's voice is not necessarily
> her range, although that's technically impressive.  It's the way she
> uses it: her sense of how to phrase, what to do with a note, which
> way and how long to "smear" the first or last note of a phrase.
> Take "The Man with the Child in his Eyes", for example.  Pat Benatar
> (ecch) or even Suzanne Vega could not get the emotional content out
> of that song that Kate does.

I disagree.  You're oversimplifying too much, I think.

Comparing Kate's singing style with Suzanne's in this manner is like
comparing Faulkner's writing style, say, with Hemingway's.  They each
use different means to acheive the artistic effect they desire.

--woodstock
--
	   "How did you get your mind to tilt like your hat?"

...!{decwrl|hplabs!oliveb|pur-ee|qantel|amd}!intelca!mipos3!nate
<domainish> :   nate@mipos3.intel.com		ATT :    (408) 765-4309