Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"Wow" and "Troy"

From: raspail!steve@SHAMASH.CDC.COM (Steve Schonberger)
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 88 18:57:59 CDT
Subject: "Wow" and "Troy"
News-Path: shamash!umn-cs!nic.MR.NET!uwmcsd1!mailrus!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!bloom-beacon!EDDIE.MIT.EDU!Love-Hounds-request

Note to Pete only: In case I am unable to get this to Doug, which I
have never succeeded at before, please forward this to the address you
used to post the note I am replying to.  Thanks in advance.

Note to Doug:  What is the "!" address of Love-Hounds-request relative to
a UseNet backbone like uunet?  I've never gotten mail through before, and
imagine there are others with the same problem.

      [	You seem to have gotten the message here!  I think that
	uunet!eddie.mit.edu!love-hounds should also work.  -- |>oug ]

> From: bradley!bucc2!frodo@A.CS.UIUC.EDU (Pete Hartman)

> I may be about to get myself in deep doo doo in this newsgroup, but...
> I think that "Troy" (by far my favorite Sinead song) has lyrics
> equalling if not surpassing those of some songs on a debut album by
> someone oft adulated in this group....(i.e. Kate) Perhaps there are
> songs that fall lyrically below Anything Kate Has Done, but then I
> think of "Wow!" and wonder if someone has been spiking your punch....

> 	[ Actually, if you think "Wow"'s lyrics aren't good, you are
> 	  listening to them only very superficially.  When I listen to
> 	  "Troy", I nearly puke when Sinead sings, "I kill the Dragon
> 	  for you".  But it's only one moment of pain in four minutes
> 	  of pleasure, so it doesn't matter too much.  -- |>oug ]

In case anyone hasn't noticed, Sinead's music is mostly pretty heavy
with sexual connotations, and sometimes farily explicitly sexual
lyrics (like the unreleased song she has been singing in her tour
concerts -- which are short and have rap bands for warmup, but are
otherwise wonderful -- which includes the lyrics "like the time we
f*ck*d so hard there was blood on the walls" or something similar).

I believe the line "I kill the dragon for you" (actually, it's "I'd
kill a dragon for you") is a sexual metaphor too, though it took me a
while to figure it out.

While Pete is right about "Wow" having less lyrical impact than many
Kate songs on a superficial listening, careful listening (or reading
the lyric sheet) reveals a lot more than the obvious (the rather plain
refrain).  I'll leave it to Pete to listen closely, read the lyric
sheet, or to Doug to post the address of the Kate lyric server, since
I would rather leave the interpretation of the lyrics to Pete (and
everyone else who's reading this).

	Steve Schonberger
	steve@raspail.uucp
	...!uunet!rosevax!shamash!rapail!steve