Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate-echism XV.7.xx: with a spoonful of sugar

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 88 19:35 PDT
Subject: Kate-echism XV.7.xx: with a spoonful of sugar
Posted-Date: Sun, 17 Jul 88 19:35 PDT

 > Subject: Dear IED, hope you got the letter..
 > -- jsd

     Huh? Sorry, Jon, he didn't, as far as he knows. What letter?

 > Question : Is the only difference between the two in the vocals?
 > Though the guitar sound/approach is certainly the same, I seem to
 > recall that the actual notes diverge quite a bit, especially toward
 > the end.  Haven't checked recently, so I wouldn't bet my life.
 > Anybody know for sure?

 >    [ The instrumental backing is the same, though it seems to
 >      have been remixed a bit.  -- |>oug ]

     Actually, it's been remixed a _lot_. The mix itself (especially
in the relative prominence of the drums) is quite different, and a
good deal of reverb-ish echo-delay stuff has been added. Most
important of all, however (aside from Kate's new vocal, of course) is
the long concluding guitar riff section, which though made from the
original recording, is lengthened by nearly a full minute, adding to
the guitar solo and to the long "ad lib" vocals at the end.  "Remixed
a bit" just doesn't describe it.

 >     Question : What's the first song (not limited to WH-I or -II) you
 > play for some-one interested in hearing Kate?  I almost always go
 > with WH-II or "Oh To Be In Love" as they seem to have the best mix
 > of accessibility and emotion.
 > -- Brian

 >> Gee, I play "Waking the Witch", because I want to scare
 >> their fucking brains out! -- |>oug

     IED shares |>oug's implied view that there's not much point in
trying to attract a novice to Kate's music by trying to choose
something relatively "accessible". If there's any hope at all of
turning a person on to Kate, it's going to be because that person is
receptive to really powerful, aggressive forms of art.  As Kate