Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: bradley!bucc2!frodo@A.CS.UIUC.EDU (Pete Hartman)
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 88 03:18:08 CDT

dhsu@SUN.COM (Dave Hsu [Contractor]) writes:

[Miscellaneous Details of his life Deleted :-)]

>                                ...trying futilely to understand why
> |>oug et al have been positively rabid over Sinead O'Connor for the
> last 8 months.  I mean sure, it's phenomenal for a debut album, and
> she has a certain interesting sound,

I generally buy my music as much for the sound as for the lyrics, if
not moreso (I mean Rush has interesting lyrics, but their sound has
gotten SO boring), and my own opinion is that "interesting" is a
masterpiece of understatement.

>					but the lyrics might as well
> be lifted from a breakfast cereal box.

I may be about to get myself in deep doo doo in this newsgroup, but...
I think that "Troy" (by far my favorite Sinead song) has lyrics
equalling if not surpassing those of some songs on a debut album by
someone oft adulated in this group....(i.e. Kate) Perhaps there are
songs that fall lyrically below Anything Kate Has Done, but then I
think of "Wow!" and wonder if someone has been spiking your punch....

	[ Actually, if you think "Wow"'s lyrics aren't good, you are
	  listening to them only very superficially.  When I listen to
	  "Troy", I nearly puke when Sinead sings, "I kill the Dragon
	  for you".  But it's only one moment of pain in four minutes
	  of pleasure, so it doesn't matter too much.  -- |>oug ]

in other news, YES YES SIGN ME UP!!  I'm not sure if our mailer here in
backwater Peoria will understand the mailing address given by Peter Lee
but I AM INTERESTED IN KOMPILATION TAPES!!
my adresses are:

Pete Hartman			...uiucdcs\
1101 N. University		.....ihnp4 >!bradley!bucc2!frodo
Peoria, IL 61606		......cepu/

Hopefully this will be up and to you before your deadline.
Thanks for the info!