Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Scritti Politti: "Provision" (a review)

From: Michael Portuesi <mp1u+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 88 18:09:55 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Scritti Politti: "Provision" (a review)

Ever since I heard the single "Boom! There She Was" on our local "new
music" station I've been waiting for Scritti Politti's new album.  I
was expecting "Cupid and Psyche part 2".

Well, the new album is not quite as good as the first one.  It has
fewer catchy dance tunes than "Cupid and Psyche '85", and more of the
slow "mushy love tunes" on the order of "A Little Knowledge" from the
first album.  The album is also more homogenous, individual songs
having less identity than those on "Cupid and Psyche".  While the
drum-machine arrangements and synth sequencing are all perfect, the
songs are not as busy as "Perfect Way", "Wood Beez" or "Absolute".
The sound quality is quite nice, however.

In spite of my reservations, I still think the album is worth buying.
But don't expect a masterpiece of modern pop music like "Cupid and
Psyche '85".  And if you don't have a copy of "Cupid and Psyche" in
your collection, by all means go out and buy it.

                        --M