Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Moving Hearts info forwarded from Ken Josenhans

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 88 13:46 PDT
Subject: Moving Hearts info forwarded from Ken Josenhans

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 88 23:44:45 EDT
From: Ken Josenhans <13020KRJ@MSU.BITNET>
Subject: Re: Moving Hearts

     A slight correction: the original Moving Hearts lineup only had
one piper, Davy Spillane; the second was added for "The Storm" LP.

MOVING HEARTS, WEA Ireland WEA K 58 387, 1981 (Also available on
     vinyl and CD from Green Linnet with misleading 1986 date)
     Christy Moore, vocals & guitar
     Donal Lunny, bouzouki, synth, vocals  (Moore and Lunny were
          in Planxty, an influential Irish group of the 1970's)
     Declan Sinnott, lead guitar
     Eoghan O'Neill, bass
     Brian Calnan, drums
     Davy Spillane, Uileann Pipes, Low Whistle
     Keith Donald, sax

DARK END OF THE STREET, WEA Ireland MH 001, 1982.  (Green Linnet LP, I think)
     Only first names of the band, but it looks like exit Brian Calnan,
     enter Matt Kelleghan on drums.   There is a US album by this title
     which mixes tracks from the first two albums; on Warner Bros, I think.
     I saw it in the cutout bins a few years back.

LIVE HEARTS, WEA Ireland IR 0230, 1983 (not sure if Green Linnet did this one)
     The critical consensus was that their live performance was better
     than their recorded output, so they did a live LP.  Unfortunately
     Christy Moore had been replaced by Mick Hanly as the lead singer.

THE STORM, Tara 3014, 1985 (distributed by Shanachie in US, I think)
     Exit Mick Hanly, add Declan Masterson on 2nd set of Uillean Pipes and
     Noel Eccles on assorted extra percussion.   If you pick up a copy
     of this, I'll be curious to know what you think.

     I have some memory of an interview with the band appearing in
the British folk magazine FOLK ROOTS; if I can find it, I'll check
back for a paper mail address.

 -- Ken