Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate and ONLY Kate!

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 88 16:43 PDT
Subject: Kate and ONLY Kate!

     IED just _had_ to re-post the following exchange between Peter
Swales and Del Palmer from the _Musician_ interview. No one has ever
come closer to expressing the _truth_ about Kate's music better than
Del did in this passage:

     Del <Palmer, Kate's demos engineer, bass player and boyfriend>,
you played bass in the original K.T. Bush band. The guitarist Brian
Bath was once telling me how one day in the mid-70s, Paddy asked him
to sit in and play with his kid sister and he was so overwhelmed, he
just couldn't believe what he was hearing...

     Del: "Yeah, and he wasn't the only one. I'd heard about Kate from
Paddy 'cause I'd known him for some time. And Brian had told me he'd
heard some of her songs and they were really great, and I trusted his
opinion. But I just had this impression that she must be older and
more mature. Then at our first rehearsal -- Kate, Brian and me, and a
fellow called Vic King on drums -- I felt a little nervous because,
you know, I felt a particular emotional involvement coming on right
from the word go.  But I also just thought: this girl's like just
eighteen, whereas I'd been struggling for years on my bass. And I knew
I just had to get involved in some way because this was going to be
_mega_. It was a _phenomenon_, because it was so
_completely_different_ from what anyone else was doing.  AND I'VE
NEVER HAD ANY DESIRE TO WORK WITH ANYONE ELSE SINCE. It wouldn't be
anywhere near so adventurous and demanding... It's no good you sitting
there laughing, Kate, it's true! The songs always started off in a way
I found instantly...well, familiar.  But then suddenly they'd leap off
somewhere completely different, and I'd think, how could you possibly
_think_ of going to _there_ from what you were in originally? I would
never have thought of doing that, and yet it always works! And that's
the case even moreso nowadays. For me, a great musical artist is
someone who can always keep surprising you with what they do, and
there's very few people who can do that for me, very few. I'VE GOT
VERY LIMITED MUSICAL TASTES..."

    If ever there were words of GOSPEL TRUTH, you just read them.

-- Andrew Marvick