Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Climbing in Kate's family tree.

From: crclarke@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
Date: Fri, 20 May 88 22:25:46 CDT
Subject: Climbing in Kate's family tree.
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

PART ONE

	I recently came across two works of John Carder Bush.  I was
able to obtain a copy of one as follows:

	Bush, John Carder, "Control:  A translation", Rushden,
	   Northamptonshire, Eng.:  Sceptre Pr., 1974.

	        When God comes at me
		do I bow the stallion's legs
		or meet him with flared nostrils?

		When Man comes at me
		do I rein in the stallion,
		or let him meet the hooves?

		When Woman comes at me
		do I let her take the bridle,
		or turn away the head?

		When Animal comes at me
		the stallion stalls at simplicity:
		I cannot make him face attack.

		When I come at me
		the stallion bolts:
		I find him nuzzling the reflecting water.

		When I
		and stallion
		blend
		the grass gets cropped.

	I was unable to obtain a copy of another work.  Perhaps someone
out there could post it?  It's only a couple of pages.

	Bush, John Carder, "The Creation Edda:  A poem", Frensham,
	   Surrey, Eng.:  Sceptre Pr., 1970.

	Libraries with copies:  UCLA
			        Harvard
			        SUNY @ Buffalo

-------------------------
PART TWO

	While in England a few months ago, I FINALLY made a pilgrimage
to Welling-East Wickham (home of Our Lady of Song, or at least her
parents).  Not wishing to be an obnoxious geek fan, a clicked off a
few shots of East Wickham Farm, then walked around Fanny-on-the-Hill,
Plumstead Cemetary, and Bostall Woods.

	When I got off the train at Welling, a woman and a girl also
got off.  By their relative ages, I assumed the girl was the woman's
granddaughter.  Maybe it was my state-of-mind, but the woman looked
like Hannah Bush, Kate's mum.  I've only seen a couple of pictures of
her, but this looked like her.  But I couldn't place the girl.

	So here's the question: Are Jay or Paddy married?

		[ I don't think Paddy is married.  John is married and
		  has children.  -- |>oug ]

It had never occurred to me before, but they're certainly old enough.

PART THREE

	Finally got a copy of "Kate Bush Complete".  Who writes out
the scores?  I recall Kate saying that she rarely writes out her
songs, but plays it by ear.  So are these the product of someone
listening to them over and over and over...?

			Christopher R. Clarke
			K 10236