Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Mailbags, and bags, and bags, and...

From: ece-csc!jnh@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Joseph Nathan Hall)
Date: 6 Apr 88 15:29:58 GMT
Subject: Re: Mailbags, and bags, and bags, and...
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>> * NC State doesn't give a hoot about my musical opinions.
>> -- Joseph Hall

> [Andrew Marvick:] That's no surprise. _One_octave_?! Opinions are
> one thing, Joseph.  Plain ordinary tone-deafness is another. Try
> listening to the lowest notes and then the highest notes, and then
> go to a piano and _count_! During the course of _Hounds of Love_
> Kate easily surpasses a three-octave vocal range. Over the span of
> her first five albums she's covered more than four octaves.

	Opinions are one thing, but plain ordinary obnoxiousness is
another.  Feel free to impune my musical tastes but I'd like to know
on what basis you feel I'm tone-deaf.  Fact is I'm not.  Would you
believe classical piano since I was four.  Synths since I was 16.  I owned
an 8-track studio a while ago.  And I don't even need the doggone piano;
I've had perfect pitch since I can remember.

      [	Well, Joe, if you listen to something that is three octaves,
	and say that it is one octave, then you might give people the
	impression that you are tone-deaf.  Now, it may be just a
	matter of poor listening skills, but if you want to impress
	people with your perfect pitch, you shouldn't make ludicrous
	statements about pitch.  -- |>oug ]

	I'll just run on home and have yet *another* listen to this
album and see whether or not I agree with your assertion that there are
indeed three octaves of Kate's voice there.  Probably on the way I'll
pick up a copy of _The_Dreaming_ since that seems to be the other album
that everyone suggests I listen to.  [ Good idea!  -- |>oug ]

	I hope I like it.  (Especially since I'm going to pay for it.)

	-joseph
	-jnh@ece-csc.ncsu.edu (Internet)