Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Suspended in Gaffa & religious allusion

From: "Andy Gough, x2906, CH3-62" <AGOUGH%F6ACC1@sc.intel.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 88 13:26 PST
Subject: Suspended in Gaffa & religious allusion

Reading some of the interpretations of "Suspended in Gaffa" something
jumped out at me that apparently has been missed by everyone else.

Given that "Suspended in Gaffa" is about a desire to see God (which,
by the way, would be fatal to a human because of our state of
sin--God's image would be turned into his wrath against us;

      [	This assumes that the God in question is the Christian or
	Jewish God, which isn't the case here, since Kate is neither
	Christian nor Jewish.  Kate says that her reference to God
	here is in a strictly symbolic sense -- "God" refers to
	perfection, not a specific religious figure.  -- |>oug ]

Moses did see God's back once, though), then the two lines:

      It's a plank in me eye
      With a camel who's trying to get through it

are clearly allusions to the New Testament.  First, "It's a plank..."
refers to the statement Jesus made, "Do not point out the splinter in
your neighbor's eye when you have a beam in your own."  I.e., don't
point out the petty sins of others when you have even greater ones.
Obviously, the plank is the beam.  The difference may be due to Bible
translations (beam is from the New American Standard translation--the
King James could be different).  That or Kate liked plank better.

The second, "With a camel who's..." also refers to a statement of
Jesus, when He said, "It's harder for a rich man to get into Heaven
that it is to thread a Camel through the eye of a needle."  (Not that
it's impossible for a rich man to get in, but being cutoff from daily
need, it is more difficult).

	[ Hmmm....  I've never seen anyone thread a Camel through the
	  eye of a needle.  Sounds more than just "difficult" to me.
	  Maybe with the help of a bassomatic....  -- |>oug ]

The two lines together, along with the allusions, would indicate that
Kate's failure to see God is due to her state of sin--sin is what is
holding her back.

Just an idea...,
Andy Gough