Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Jane Siberry on tour

From: rutgers!uunet!watmath!chmilar@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Michael Chmilar)
Date: 6 Apr 88 21:05:15 GMT
Subject: Jane Siberry on tour
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Jane Siberry played here in Calgary last week, and it was a very good
show.  She will be hitting the U.S. in a couple of weeks, so she may
be in your town soon.  Interested Love-Hounds may want to attend a
performance.

For those who don't know, Jane Siberry is a Canadian musical artiste.
Articles about her invariably invoke the names of Kate, Laurie
Anderson, and, lately, Skinhead O'Conner.  Now, nobody says that Jane
is God, or even that her work has any particular similarity to God's.
What Jane does have in common with God and the others is that she
seems to have an artistic vision, over which she exercises total
control, and is able to write subtle, interesting, and challenging
lyrics.  Jane's lyrics tend to contain a lot of interesting images
which she builds and contrasts very effectively.  The music, while
seeming overly "pop-ey" at times, usually meshes well with the lyrics
they accompany.  Two backup singers provide for some exceptional
harmonies - one of Jane's fortes.

If you do go, I would recommend listening to some of Jane's CD's
first.  In preferred order, you should try to get

	The Walking
	The Speckless Sky
	No Borders Here

"The Walking" is also, technically, an _exceptionally_ good CD.

You may also want to see some of her videos (inundate MTV with phone
calls!).  I've probably missed at least one, but they are

	Ingrid and the Footman
	The Walking
	One More Colour (two versions: 1 in studio and 1 with cow)
	I Muse Aloud
	Mimi on the Beach

I hope you enjoy the concert, CD's and videos.  Remember, if you show
enthusiasm, then Jane will remain free to create and control her work.

--
Michael Chmilar,  University of Calgary,
..!{ihnp4,seismo!mnetor}!alberta!calgary!chmilar

	"What's your sign?"  "It depends on my angle!"