Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

home at last

From: ll-xn!ames!trane!gold@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Michael Gold)
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 88 20:43:45 PDT
Subject: home at last
Posted-Date: Fri, 15 Apr 88 20:43:45 PDT

I've been kicking around USENET for about 6 months, and I just
discovered this newsgroup.  I think I'll stay awhile.

I admire Ms. Bush, but my affinity runs even stronger for most of the
"other" artists mentioned in the past few weeks: Sinead, 4AD, Wire,
Dax, Tackhead (any/all Adrian Sherwood), etc.  Did anyone mention
David Sylvian (oops, I posted a blurb in rec.music.misc which drew
total silence)?

Although currently S.F.-based, I spent the mid-to-late-70's in Boston.
I'm pretty impressed by some of the music coming from there lately;
The Throwing Muses will be spending quality time on my sound system.

Roger Miller (you know, Mission of Burma, Birdsongs, etc.) played a
set of his Maximum Piano solo work to a rather sparsely populated club
audience here a couple of weeks ago.  I was bowled over by the power
of his work, which far exceeds that of any 120dB thrash factory you
care to name.

And now, quiz time: My friend and I have heard this track that we
absolutely must obtain, but we're not sure (exactly) what it is.  It
is a male/female vocal duet, the female certainly being Liz Frazer (no
faking possible there), we're not sure about the male: perhaps Peter
Murphy.  The arrangement is heavy on acoustic guitar, in a moderate
4/4.  The chord progression of the chorus is something like (don't
know the key):

	/  I  /  IV (VI bass)  /  VII b  /  I  /

with Frazer doing even more than her typical passionately soulful
crooning thing.  If anyone can fill us in, they'll be thanked
profusely.

Enjoy spring.

--------
Michael Gold / (415) 780-4903 / {ihnp4,ames,sun,pyramid,...}!pacbell!trane!gold
				-or-  gold@trane.UUCP