Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kirsty, Kate and Homeground

From: "Neil B. M. Calton" <nbc@vax-d.rutherford.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 88 12:43:40 gmt
Subject: Kirsty, Kate and Homeground

> From: IED0DXM@OAC.UCLA.EDU

> Regarding Kirsty MacColl: She's not just some bimbo of Steve
> Lillywhite's, nor even "just" his wife. She's a British recording
> artist and songwriter in her own right, with some six years of
> releases to her credit. Her first single was the self-penned "They
> Don't Know," from about 1979 or so. A cover of the song was later a
> big hit for Tracey Ullmann -- unfortunately, since MacColl's
> recording is much, much better. M.'s own biggest hit came a couple
> of years later, with another self-written record called "The Guy Who
> Works at the Chips Shop Down the Corner," or something like that
                *********

For shame IED, chip shop or chippy please. 8-)

> (Neil Calton might be able to help out here?), and IED has a vague
> memory of a third record with a song with "Elvis" in the title...

I believe the title was something like "There's a guy down the chip
shop thinks he's Elvis". Kirst MacColl is also on the new Talking
Heads album Naked - and David Byrne is unlikely to have some bimbo on
his albums. Kirsty was also responsible for getting a record with the
word arse in it played on Radio 1 and BBC TV (the Pogues Xmas single)
- no mean feat in itself.

The latest issue of Homeground has just appeared featuring almost as
many mentions for IED as for Kate. Well done that man. Bags of good
information in this plus a mention for Love-hounds courtesy of the
aforementioned Mr Marvick.  Buy it now!

Finally, a (controversial?) plea from a desperate man: Why, why, why
does Kate give her songs to third rate movies like "She's having a
Sprog" yet does not make this music available on singles for her fans
in GB and the world. Chances are the movie will not even get a showing
outside of London for ages (if at all) and why should we have to buy a
soundtrack album just for one track. The British singles charts are
full of the most awful crap by female singers (I use the term loosely)
like Tiffany, Vanessa Paradis, Debbie Fisher, Kylie Mynogue (sp?) etc.
Kate could record a version of "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" and it would be
orders of magnitude better than the crap that is around at the moment.
Are the record company to blame or is she being too sensitive about
her art.

Be seeing you.