Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Sheila Chandra & Monsoon = Beatles' Indian sound (well, sort of ..)

From: emory!colm@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Colm Mulcahy)
Date: 10 Feb 88 13:46:29 GMT
Subject: Sheila Chandra & Monsoon = Beatles' Indian sound (well, sort of ..)
Newsgroups: rec.music.misc, rec.music.beatles, rec.music.gaffa

[ From the Love-Hounds lost-and-found:  -- |>oug ]

In article<2255@charon.unm.edu>, cs2531bn@charon.unm.edu (Ernie
Longmire) writes:

> The music sounds Indian, with sitar and tablas, and pretty uptempo, with
> a European-sounding woman singing the lyric:
> 	Ever so lonely...
> 	Ever so lonely with you...
> If anyone can tell me what the musical piece is and who does it, I'd be
> really grateful...

What you have here is Monsoon doing one of their two beter known hits,
the other being the Beatles' Tomorrow Never Knows (excellent version!).

Monsoon started in 81, Sheila Chandra a sixteen year old British
Indian, the other three being seasoned session musicians (Martin Smith
and Steve Coe are the only names I can think of). The music was alone
the line of George Harrison's "Indian period". They had some minor
hits in 82, the two biggest as indicated above. John Peel gave them a
lot of air play on the BBC. They finally got an album out in late 82,
The Third Eye. Some of the singles and 12inchers had stuff not on the
LP.

Then they broke up. But nothing changed except the name. Now billed as
just Sheila Chandra, the exact same bunch of people (plus rotating
Indians) have continued pumping out quality records (on the Indipop
label). By 85 she had FOUR solo albums out, post Monsoon ! I lost
track at that stage. I do see them occassionally in the US.

Anyone know what she's up to ?  I'm sure at least some of those
rotating Indians got dizzy by now !

By the way, if you need more details, email me, as I have all of the
above at home.

--
Colm Mulcahy        |  {sun!sunatl,gatech}!emory!colm		UUCP
Emory University    |  colm@emory                   	   	BITNET