Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: new oldfield lp, kevin ayers, roger chapman

From: emory!colm@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Colm Mulcahy)
Date: 18 Feb 88 19:36:59 GMT
Subject: Re: new oldfield lp, kevin ayers, roger chapman
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa, rec.music.misc

> From: jsd%UMASS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU

> FLYING START (3:37)
>     OK, a better tune, and a different vocalist (a guy named Kevin
> Ayers).  Oldfield just CAN'T pick male vocalists, I'm sorry!  Listen
> to "Discovery" and notice that Barry Palmer has NO VOICE!!  This guy
> is better, but when he hits real low notes he sounds like Dudley
> Do-Right.

Kevin Ayers is one of the true geniuses of late sixties/early
seventies rock in Britain. It was on HIS records from this period that
Oldfield and Bedford (or am I thinking of Palmer ? Confusion here I'm
afraid) got their first public exposure.  If only Oldfield was half as
good as Ayers .......

Of course Kev's voice may well be shot as this point, what a shame.
For a REAL treat hunt down Oldfield's 1984 single "Shadow On The
Wall", with the great Roger Chapman on vocals. This song is perfectly
suited to Roger's unique voice.  That's the same Chapman who lead
Family, Streetwalkers and the Shortlist over the past 20 years.

It was Mike Oldfield & his like who "inspired" a large part of the
mid-70s upheaval (that's not a compliment by the way, think about
it!). Ironic how he was the first release on Virgin records, who five
years later were putting out a lot of the "punk" stuff.
--
Colm Mulcahy        |  {sun!sunatl,gatech}!emory!colm		UUCP
Emory University    |  colm@emory                   	   	BITNET