Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

more mike oldfield

From: jsd%UMASS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (Jonathan S. Drukman)
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 88 09:42:24 EST
Subject: more mike oldfield

Colm Mulcahy writes:

> Of course Kev's voice may well be shot as this point, what a shame.
> For a REAL treat hunt down Oldfield's 1984 single "Shadow On The
> Wall", with the great Roger Chapman on vocals. This song is perfectly
> suited to Roger's unique voice.  That's the same Chapman who lead
> Family, Streetwalkers and the Shortlist over the past 20 years.

I don't know about "shot".... he has a nice mellow sound to him, but
Oldfield consistently writes VERY tricky vocals requiring the likes of
Maggie Reilly to be able to hit the highs and lows properly.  Even
Maggie made the odd mistake, but her voice was so beautiful that I
always forgave her.  Kevin is pretty good, but some of those Dudley
Do-Right phrasings make me burst out laughing.

Incidentally, I do have "Shadow On The Wall" (on the Crises CD, which
sounds great and cost an arm and a leg!) and I don't think much of
Roger Chapman.  Typical heavy metal wailing.

Update: I'm starting to like "The Wind Chimes" (the instrumental on
"Islands") a whole lot.... the CD is out domestically and has the same
stuff that's on the import (in a different track ordering - you figure
it out).  I'd recommend you get it.  It sounds BEAUTIFUL in
headphones.

Jon Drukman                        BITNET: jsd@umass
209-C2 McNamara                   ARPANET: jsd%umass.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
University Of Massachusetts           (or) jsd%umass.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
Amherst, MA  01003                  PHONE: 413-546-4262
"We want your body!" - PiL