Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

More Oldfield Talk

From: Lazlo Nibble <cs2531bn@charon.unm.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 88 22:44:29 MST
Subject: More Oldfield Talk

>        [                            ...According to what I have read,
>        since Oldfield has switched to pop, everything he does sells
>        millions of copies in Germany and other European countries.
>        -- |>oug ]

Everything he did BEFORE he "switched to pop" sold millions of copies
overseas too.

      [	T'isn't true, according to Mike Oldfield's own book of sheet
	music.  -- |>oug ]

Has anyone on this newsgroup considered the possibility that Oldfield
is doing what he's doing now because he ENJOYS what he's doing now?

      [	Yes, but it says it the aforementioned book of sheet music
	that whenever Mike gets depressed now he balances his
	checkbook, so pure musical enjoyment is clearly not all he's
	doing it for....  -- |>oug ]

Gee...naw... how could any TRUE artist ENJOY producing anything
that could be construed as POPULAR music?

I shudder to think what I'm going to see said about Kate on here the
minute she releases an LP that hits the top 10.

      [	It's way too late.  It England, Kate Bush is considered one of
	EMI's top few musicians.  The TV advertising budget for *The
	Whole Story* was the highest EMI ever spent.  The advertising
	budget for *Hounds of Love* was the highest of the year.  They
	both spent weeks at number one in England and were in the top
	ten in many countries.  Kate's very first single, "Wuthering
	Heights", internationally was one of the most successful
	singles of all time.  -- |>oug ]

No snob value in enjoying the work of a performer everyone else likes
too.  :-(

Lazlo (cs2531bn@charon.unm.edu)