Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

moldfield

From: harvard!zinn!mem@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Mark E. Mallett)
Date: 2 Mar 88 09:01:00 EST (Wed)
Subject: moldfield

> From: aurora!gidi@polya.STANFORD.EDU (Gidi Avrahami)

> I certainly don't want to get into any kind of anti-progressive-pop
> debate but if you're REALLY interested I suggest you check Ayers'
> `74 albums "The Confessions of Dr Dream" and the live "June 1974"
> (they overlap somewhat in material). Oldfield plays one tearfully
> beautiful solo on the Doctor ("Everybody's Sometime And Some
> People's All The Time Blues") and some on the live one, too
> (methinks). Check Ayers' "Joy Of A Toy", too for Bedford & Oldfield
> in a rock setting.

No, I don't think that's getting into a debate -- for one thing, it
doesn't contradict (or even dispute) anything that I had said.  It's
giving an interesting pointer to some Oldfield/Ayers/Bedford music,
and I appreciate it.  Now do you have any idea where I could actually
*find* that?  :-)

Oh, and 1974 is, of course, some time after Tubular Bells.

And oh, yes, sorry, "Shadow on the Wall" is on Crisis, not on
Discovery (as my message said).  That fact had no bearing on the point
of what I was saying, however.  If it had, I don't imagine that I
would have made that mistake.  But one never knows...

-mm-
--
Mark E. Mallett  PO Box 4188/ Manchester NH/ 03103
Bus. Phone: 603 645 5069    Home: 603 424 8129