Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

random chatter

From: Greg Earle <earle@mahendo.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 88 23:12:37 PST
Subject: random chatter

> From: puppy%umass.BITNET@mitvma.MIT.EDU

Hmmn, from `lovecat' to `puppy' ...  looks like Fidelis is slowly
learning ...

> THE TEAR GARDEN "Tired Eyes Slowly Burning"
>		Synthy deathrock ... imagine Skinny Puppy being slower
>		and slightly more artsy with good lyrics you can actually
>		understand.

`slightly more artsy'?  What does this mean?  What it sounds like is a
Legendary Pink Dots LP with the music performed by Skinny Puppy
instead; gee funny about that (look at the credits, after all).  Buy
the new L.P.D.  LP `Any Day Now' and you'll see ... as for `lyrics you
can actually understand', listen closely to the `Addiction' remix, I
can tell what he's saying ... actually, the best way to hear Skinny
Puppy's lyrics is to take Ecstacy, wierd how you can hear
e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g on that stuff ... now 'course I wouldn't ever want
to look like I wuz advocating DRUG use or anything ...

> and a question now ...  HOW IS THE a;GRUMH... CD???

Dunno ... I never buy those little frisbies ...

> (basically how is the album?  I forgot the name)

`Too Many Cooks In The Kitchen' ... pretty standard a;Grumh... fare;
they keep reminding me of Alien Sex Fiend (especially vocal-wise)
crossed with something else ...  it's not bad.  Try `Plague' by The
Klinik instead ...

> What does The Neon Judgement sound like?

Hmmn, that's hard; one thing I like about `Horny As Hell' is that it
is so varied, each song is *very* different from the one before and
after; a rough stab is Robert Smith fronting Sisters of Mercy doing a
Prince cover (?!?!?!)  (`I Stood In Between'), Suicide (`S.T.L.G.'),
Fields of The Nephelim-ish Ennio Morricone Telecaster-twang (`The
Sea', `Miss Brown'), Sakamoto-esque Far Eastern rhythms with New
Orderish bass and Peter Gabriel `Shock The Monkey'-type wailing over
the top (`Horny As Hell'), good heavy drum machine dance floor
freakout (`The Bad Luck'), and caliope-esque post-funk with Frankie
Goes To Hollywood lyrical concerns (`Trashy Lady').  How's that?
Hell, it's only $6 or $7 on Play It Again Sam USA, the pressing's
good, I like it a lot, take a chance.

While you're at it, get the Borghesia `No Hope No Fear' ... sounds
like what you'd get if Skinny Puppy had come from Yugoslavia instead
of Vancouver, and had been to a lot of Laibach gigs ... real good
stuff.

Lyrical snatch of the moment:
	I don't want to look like Elton John
	Nice suit
	With all my hair gone
(Alien Sex Fiend - `Boots On')

Leather Nun touring U.S. next month ...
Gaye Bikers On Acid in April ...
Skinny Puppy U.S. tour in June ... You heard it here first ...

	- Greg