Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

synth information request

From: Nancy Everson <everson@SPCA.BBN.COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 88 13:55:05 EST
Subject: synth information request

I've gotten bored with just listening to music, and want to start
making my own (and I don't want to drag my high school oboe out of the
closet).  Since I used to play piano (and really miss it a lot), I've
decided I want to buy a keyboard of some sort, probably a synthesizer.
I know there's a USENET group devoted to discussions of this sort, but
I don't have access to USENET, and get love-hounds from Doug by
e-mail, so I thought I'd send a letter to this group to see what kind
of responses I could get.  I know there's a bunch of people on this
list that make their own music, so I'm hoping to get some response.

I am interested to know if anyone has any advice, experience,
opinions, or recommendations, for synths or other keyboards in the
$800 to $1600 range.  What are some of the features I should look for
or avoid?  Stuff like that.  And where's a good place to buy these
things, either in New England, or mail order?  Is there any literature
that would be useful?  Keep in mind that I'm a novice when it comes to
synthesizers, but I'm willing to learn.

Or should I just buy a nice tv and vcr and forget the whole thing? ;-)

Thanks for any replies!

- Nancy
nancy everson  (everson@bbn.com)
bbn software products corporation, cambridge mass