Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Mary Coughlan/Sugarcubes

From: "Neil B. M. Calton" <nbc@vax-d.rutherford.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 88 10:50:10 gmt
Subject: Mary Coughlan/Sugarcubes

>From: avalon%ucsck.UCSC.EDU@ucscc.ucsc.edu (Scott A. McIntyre)

> I sent a message to rec.music.misc asking for recommendations as to
> what to purchase next in the way of Kate Bush's music, and have
> received SEVERAL replies for me to join this conference...so I
> did...at any rate, just wanted to say hi, and ask, what should I get
> next?

The Dreaming, Hounds of Love, The Kick Inside, Never for Ever,
Lionheart

      [	In that order.  -- |>oug ]

> P.S.   Is Kate married?  :)

Join the back of the queue 8-)

> From: JTURNER%UMASS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
> Subject: Sinead O'Connor

> and the Cobra".  It's wonderful.  I definately reccommend it for
> those who need an interim dose of arty UK music. (Actually she's
> Irish....

Another Irish singer I have greatly enjoyed in the last 12 months has
been Mary Coughlan who has two albums out on WEA, "Tired and Emotional"
and "Under the Influence". She does not write her own songs and is
totally different from Kate but her voice is wonderful to listen to. Its
moody and emotional - very much late night music, and she has been compared
to Billie Holliday. Listen to her with a bottle of something strong
by your side. Both albums are available on CD.

For a really amazing female voice take a listen to "Birthday" by the
Sugarcubes - my choice as best single of 1987 and promising many delights
when their album appears. They are Icelandic hence I've forgottten the
name of the vocalist.

BTW, Q Magazine in the UK reported that Kate's new album was unlikely
to be released before 1989. Whether they have any facts to support
this claim is another matter. However, Kate's revelationary comments
on this subject in the KBC newsletter (Umm, Umm) do not provide much
help either.

Be seeing you.