Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Oldfield / O'Connor

From: jsd%UMASS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (Jonathan S. Drukman)
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 88 17:19:55 EST
Subject: Oldfield / O'Connor

> Subject:      Mike Oldfield

> Has anyone heard the new Mike Oldfield album?  I just heard that it
> was released in Europe but I can't find it in any stores in New York.
> It really sucks that people in America don't appreciate this genius
> and force him to stick to the European market where he gets the credit
> he deserves.

> If anyone knows where I can find this album (I think it's called
> "Islands") please let me know.  I hate having to wait to hear his new
> stuff...

> Dave Rubin

Oldfield is indeed a genius, however, I feel he has been slipping up
BIG TIME.  Take Five Miles Out - a brilliant album if ever there was
one.  Then Crises, well, it's OK, but the song with Jon Anderson was
pretty lame.  Next, you have Discovery.  This album ROTS!  I like two
of the songs on it, and the instrumental piece but the rest is fluff!
What's happening to the man?  His gritty instrumentals have been
replaced by syrupy goop!  He put out a single after Discovery called
Shine and again featuring Jon Anderson.  More lightweight garbage.  I
haven't heard "Islands" yet, although my friend Dan has.  He says it's
pretty lightweight and insipid.  I wish Oldfield would get in gear and
throw these fluffy pop songs away!!  If you don't know, he's got
*gasp* BONNIE TYLER singing on "Islands"!!!  EEEEYUK!

And let me second :>oug's nomination of Sinead O'Connor.  She is really
cool.  Jumps right out of the radio.

Jon Drukman                     BITNET: jsd@umass
23 Locksley Rd.                ARPANET: jsd%umass.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Newton, MA  02159              MA BELL: 617-969-1574
          " I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure. "