Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Whereabouts of Daniel Miller

From: RpK%acorn@oak.lcs.mit.edu
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 87 19:15 edt
Subject: Whereabouts of Daniel Miller

One of the more elusive generators of synth/electro/whatever music has
to be Daniel Miller, founder of Mute Records and the man behind the
Normal, whose TVOD/Warm Leatherette single still sounds fresh after
eight years.  As far as I know, he hasn't put out much material under
his own name (or the Normal's), preferring to colloborate/producate
with people like Thomas Dolby, Lewis & Gilbert (and the Wire
Snakedrill EP), and Depeche Mode.

I've been getting into the On-U/Adrian Sherwood thing, and I noticed
that he was listed as guest artiste (on Synclavier) on the Fats Comet
``Bop Bop'' single.  The On-U compilation ``Pay It All Back Vol. 1''
contains a short track ``Fuh Fuh'' by the Voice of Authority, sounding
somewhat like Orchid Spangiafora tossed into a hip-hop blender.  Look
closely and you will see that it's credited to D. Miller.  And there
is in fact an album called ``Really Big In America At the Moment'' (or
somesuch) by the Voice of Authority, which was released on Cherry Red
in 1984.  Anybody ever hear anything from this album ?