Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Anthony Phillips

From: <RENEERB%BYUVAX.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 87 14:04 MST
Subject: Anthony Phillips

Yesterday I posted a message that included the following.
>Also, I am wondering if anyone knows about Anthony Philips.  I bought his
>"Private Parts and Pieces."  It had a lot of nice guitar music on it.  Has
>anyone ever heard of him?  Has he played with some group?

After I posted this I stumbled on the answer.

Anthony Phillips was in the original Genesis.  He played on lead guitar on
their first album, "From Genesis to Revelations," or "When Sweet turns Sour" or
whatever they call it now, and on the second one, "Trespass." I felt sort of
stupid (not an unfamiliar feeling) finding him there on some of my albums.
Apparently my "Private Parts and Pieces" is only one of several with that
title.  All, except the first, have subtitles.

Since leaving Genesis has he played with any of the other guys?  Peter, or
Phil?  Is anyone familiar with his work?  Is it worth getting his other albums?
Being a Genesis fan I found it strange that I was so attracted to his music and
then found out that he played in one of my favorite groups.  Could it be that
he's really not that good but his music was whispering `genesis' at me so I
liked it?

Allen Reneer

Reneerb@BYUVAX